Friday, 9 November 2007

Accuracy versus Fluency

It's an subject tonight at Acet, Mr. Thyer wrote on the whiteboard next to the term "Impromptu Talks". I have to note this down right after I come back from school, since this is very interesting thing I have ever heard. Actually, the content is not new to me but the way he present absolutely won my heart.

It answers directly the question: "How should I improve speaking in advance?" which I have been wondering till now.

Accuracy in speaking count the exactly/correctly how you use grammar, idiom, phrase, tense, ...in your speech. And Fluency count the percentage of how people understand what you said.

You might see someone speak English fluently, and people can understand that person easily and clearly. But if you ask a native speaker or a teacher, he will point out several wrong things in grammar, phrase, ... so this person can be called fluency speaker. But with the student very good at grammar, vocabulary, ...if his pronunciation is not so good. Even he uses the sentence in standard and correct of course, but people seem misunderstood him. In speaking, if you think you fair in Accuracy level then you must find yourself the way to improve Fluency.

Not only the pronunciation takes impact on your Fluency, but also many other items. So I'd like to list it below top ten issue for us to measure how good are you in speaking:

1/ Pronunciation
2/ Stress, intonation, rythm
3/ Speed, pause/hesitation (we need some pause during the talk for audience have time to understand you)
4/ Clarity (clear enough) and Volume (must be not too slow)
5/ Grammar and vocabulary
6/ Content and organization.
7/ Linking lanuage (Firstly, secondly, therefore, ...to notify audience now you start to go the next idea/items.
8/ Body language: gesture (using hand), posture (the way you sit, just like relax), facial expression (acting in your face must follow the content of speech), eye contact (keep your eyes open and, nervous mannerism (when you nervous you scratch everywhere, especially the back of your head)
9/ Location, movement (just move arround up n down during making speech)
10/ Enthusiasm/Energy/Confident

This is actually the instruction for the "Impromptu Talk" hour in the class. I will talk about this later next post...These top ten issues are not easy at all to go through since you cannot do this by your self, you need a group sitting there and ready listen to you. And I think I'm very lucky to have this situation.

Practice makes perfect...

Notes: One more thing has just connected me to the idea in advance for current English class @LTRC. I think I must discuss with Mr. Marc about this, we should not focus much on Accuracy but the Fluency instead. (I mean this for the advance group, like my group :))

No comments: